firstname.lastname@example.org • 831.601.2600
SKILLS AND EXPERTISE:
• XML authoring (Xyleme, FrameMaker)
• MOS Certification Word 2010
• Style guide adherence (CMOS, APA, in-house); style guide creation
• Technical editing
• Content management (SharePoint, Confluence, BOX)
• Adobe Creative Suite
• Social media marketing
• Usability research
• QA testing
• HTML, CSS, PHP coding
HIGHLIGHTS OF PROFESSIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
03/16 – current: Technical Editor * Experis at Cisco Systems, Inc. * San Jose, CA
Edit curriculum materials in either MS Word or Adobe Acrobat Pro for a large IT organization that develops and delivers online curriculum in a global marketplace. Assignment requires understanding and following Chicago Manual of Style, in-house style, and working mostly in Xyleme, an XML- based authoring system. Other working platforms include Excel, Smartsheet, DocCentral, Confluence, JIRA, and BOX. Position requires constant and precise communication with all stakeholders during production process, and a thorough understanding of all phases of production (contract position, remote).
04/15 – 09/15: Content Editor * Digital Learning Solutions * Rochester, PA
Edited secondary curriculum material for a non-profit organization that develops and delivers online curriculum both in the United States and Europe. Assignment required following APA style, in-house style, and learning and using new technologies across multiple browsers. Working platforms included SharePoint and SoftChalk (contract position).
05/07 – 01/16: Editorial Director * Point Lobos Magazine * Carmel, CA
Produced the magazine of the Point Lobos Foundation, a non-profit dedicated to helping CA State Parks preserve Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, and educating the public about the Reserve. Solicited all content, edited, designed, and produced using InDesign CS6, communicated with contributors, and made all decisions regarding content. Wrote headlines, captions, and articles. Former administrator of Point Lobos Facebook page.
01/05 – current: Publisher/Writer * BluePlanetDivers.org * Marina, CA
Designed, launched, and maintain website devoted to research diving.
09/13 – 06/14: Quality Assurance Editor * CTB McGraw Hill * Monterey, CA
Edited common core curriculum material for grades 3–11 (contract position).
10/12 – 03/13: Editorial Consultant * Learning in Motion * Santa Cruz, CA
Edited core curriculum material, grades K–12 (contract position).
03/08 – 09/12: Content Editor * Global Security and Engineering Solutions * Monterey, CA
Edited and proofread English content produced by non-native speakers for print and online courses. Active contributor to the style guide developed for Curriculum Development. Coached writers when necessary.
08/04 – 03/08: Web Content/Usability Consultant and Freelance Technical Writer/Editor * Marina, CA
Received grant from city of Marina, CA in Feb. 2005, and conducted business as Möbius One. Utilized client interviews, user profiles, and usability research to wireframe and create prototype websites. Worked with visual designer to finalize websites. Also conducted website audits to advise on redesigns. Writing and editing clients included local small businesses. Projects included www.ChuckHaugenConservationFund.org and www.OntheRecord.org.
SELECTED FREELANCE EDITORIAL and WRITING ASSIGNMENTS:
• Copyeditor * Seafood Watch Reports * Monterey, CA, 2015.
• Copyeditor * Sustainable Development; Jeffrey D. Sachs, Columbia University Press, 2014.
• Authored article about the critically endangered vaquita published in The Explorers Journal, fall 2011.
• Authored article about Marine Protected Areas, Point Lobos Magazine, winter 2011.
• Reviewer * Insider’s Guide to SEO: How to Get Your Websites to the Top of the Search Engines; A. Ramos and S. Cota, Jain Publishing, 2004.
• Copyeditor * Molecular Genetic Approaches in Conservation; T.B. Smith and R.K. Wayne, Eds. Oxford University Press, 1996.
• Proofreader * North Point Press, San Francisco, CA, 1996.
• Editor * An Ecological Atlas for the James V. Fitzgerald Marine Reserve, Moss Beach, CA, 1991.
• Member National, the prestigious Explorer’s Club 2009. (One of approximately 300 female members globally.)
• American Association of Underwater Sciences AAUS.
Graduate Student, Marine Biology, San Francisco State University.
Bachelor of Arts, Marine Biology, San Francisco State University.
Creating GIS Web Apps (online)
Technical Writing and Editing, U.C. Berkeley, CA
AWARDS and HONORS:
• Central California Council of Diving Clubs, Inc., grant recipient.
• GAANN Predoctoral Fellowship; two years.
• Lerner Grey Marine Mammal Fund grant recipient; American Museum of Natural History, NY, NY.
COMMUNITY and VOLUNTEER SERVICE:
• Past non-voting member Board of Directors Point Lobos Foundation and on 75th Anniversary Planning Committee. Played active role in MPA messaging, education, etc., via editing and production of Point Lobos Magazine.
• Past voting member Board of Directors of American Cetacean Society, Monterey Bay Chapter. Voted on grant awarding, etc.
• Member of local group Team Vaquita, dedicated to outreach and education in order to save the vaquita. www.vivavaquita.org Group has gained international recognition.
• Research Diving: Seven years with Reef Check, CA, four seasons with CA F & W, one season with National Park Service, five trips with REEF.org, former volunteer diver at Monterey Bay Aquarium.
• San Francisco School District Volunteer: Assisted learning-disabled middle school students in computer use and writing skills.
• Second Start Literacy Tutor, Oakland, CA.
Dive Master PADI; Research Diver AAUS; Basic Nitrox scuba certification IANTD; Ice Diver PADI; DAN Professional Oxygen Provider, CPR, and First Aid certified; wilderness first aid certified; martial artist, 15 years choy li fut kung fu, tai-chi. Featured in Fortune magazine. Appeared in Oct. 2005 episode of National Geographic Channel’s Hunter and Hunted.